Omelettes are great. They're extremely versatile, and they can make such a filling meal. You can put absolutely anything you want in them, and you can make they savory or sweet. The best part of waking up for me is knowing that I am going to have a delicious omelette to start off my day. Seriously. I dream of omelettes at night, along with Bear Grylls. ;)
I've been making all sorts of different omelettes every single morning for the past year and experimented with all sorts of ways to make them. Omelettes can be very personal - some people like their omelettes with big curds, some with small curds, some runny and some crispy. If you've never ever made an omelette in your life, you can look up some techniques on YouTube. Here is Jamie Oliver's version, and Jacques Pepin's version.
This omelette is super quick and easy. I had some smoked salmon, sauerkraut, and some pickled beets laying around. Just threw them together and added some spices, and it turned out delicious!
OMELETTE WITH SMOKED SALMON, SAUERKRAUT, AND BEETS
What you'll need:
- Two eggs, whisked (try to use local and true pastured raised ones at your local farmer's market if you can get them)
- A dab of grass-fed butter (I use Anchor butter. Kerrygold from Trader Joe's is also a good one)
- Some sauerkraut
- Smoked salmon
- Cooked beets, sliced (regular or pickled, depending on your preference)
- Green onions, chopped
- Optional: Swiss / Emmental cheese
- Heat up your skillet over medium high heat. Stick your dab of butter in the pan and spread it around, covering the skillet.
- Depending on how you like your omelette (the French way or American way, big curds vs small curds, etc), pour your eggs in and make the base for your omelette.
- When your omelette base is halfway set, add your cheese if you choose to on half the omelette, then your sauerkraut and smoked salmon, then the sliced beets, and finally the green onions. Sprinkle some dill and black pepper on to taste.
- Let it cook a few more seconds until the base is set, then carefully fold the other half over.
- Slide the omelette from the skillet onto your plate and enjoy!
With two eggs, a dab of grass-fed butter, 2oz / 60g of smoked salmon, 1oz / 30g of pickled beets, and a scoop of sauerkraut:
A yummy breakfast or dinner option filled with good fats and protein!